Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Slacker

Yes, yes, yes. I know. I'm a slacker and haven't posted anything in a while. Not since the 2nd of May apparently. Honestly, I didn't think anyone was paying attention. So I thought I could leave it a while before posting anything again. 3 weeks is probably long enough.

Went to a beer focus group thing the other night for some ad agency. Not a bad way to spend an hour or so. Had a few beers, something to eat, talked some crap with some guys, and got $50 for my troubles. Normally after a few beers, eating something, talking some crap with some guys, I'd be forking over $50 to keep myself entertained.

Whilst it was interesting, it's funny talking to an ad guy who wants you to find the meaning of life in a 30 second ad you find amusing. So long as it's funny and stops me changing the channel, then you can count it as a success.

The big news I guess from the last couple of weeks is Telecom's wee bit of bad news handed out by Aunty Helen and her one of her minions. I hate to say it, but good on ya Helen and David (is it David Cuniliffe?) for having the balls (ha ha, balls. Helen.) to give your biggest publicly listed company the shot in the ass it probably needed. I mean if TG didn't see the writing on the wall, they have to question why they pay her the millions they do.

Being the "insider" that I am, I feel uniquely (well, kind of) positioned to see how it will affect TNZ. Apart from getting the pin pulled on the share price, a couple of billion going bye bye in one day, and no doubt a bunch of meetings in Tory St to try and work out where to from here, it's really all been plain sailing.

I did have to laugh though at some of the comments TG rolled out at the TUANZ meeting last week. Apparently she, read: Telecom, "Gets it" now. Didn't take much for that to happen, did it? And now she proudly says that Telecom isn't going to stand in the way of competition, is not going to be obstructive, is not going to fight old regulatory battles, and is not going to hide behind legalistic battles.

Sooooooo, what your saying then TG, is that you HAVE been doing this? You HAVE been obstructive and annoying and slowing things up deliberately to ensure you meet your targets and can take home the millions you do?

I guess you have all seen the spoof Telecon ad then? If not, go here. Or here. Poor kids have been hard done by, but it's funny. Even more so now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home