Thursday, January 25, 2007

A long drinks break....

Yeah, sorry about that. Some people (one in particular) were getting a bit pushy about me conitinuing this thing. Don't know why given that virtualy laughed me out of the house when I said I was writing a blog.

I still don't think I need to do this blog all the time. It was only meant to be a bitch and a moan about things when they got to much, and to also highlight some of the good news stories that are around.

I see it more as a commentary, rather than as a diary. So just hold your horses Brett!

I laughed about this story the other day. During the election in 2005, the Government promised that if re-elected they would provide free childcare for children aged 3 and 4. "Free" seems to be a relative term for this Government. You see, whilst the childcare is free, it's technically only subsidised to a certain amount per hour. And if that amount isn't enough to cover expenses, then the Government has told the childcare centres that they might just have to put up rates for the under 3's to cover the costs.

So instead of the Government paying for it all out right, the Parents of the children aged under 3 will have to subsidise the "free" childcare for children aged 3 and 4.

It's just madness. Parents are effectively being asked to subsidise a Government policy!

Next thing to grate me was this website naming and shaming incompetent CYFS workers. I don't really have a problem with the website, as I believe that if you are in the public service you have to expect a certain level of criticism. Particularly if you are as incompetent as some of these people appear to be. I do have a problem though when a lot of personal details get published which can possibly lead to nutters going around and harassing the families of these workers. It hasn't happened yet, but I bet it won't be long before it does.

There is quite a bit of history though surround CYFS and there poor performance in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a minority of case workers who are making them all look bad. I'm sure there are plenty trying to work the system so that it assists those familises who really need it. At the end of the day, they are constrained by rules and procedures set by a bunch of muppets in Wellington, rather than the actual people on the ground who have to deal with the problems every day. Sometimes you can't help feeling sorry for them really.

Christmas and New Years were good this year. Our first with a baby in tow. But she's such an angel and makes it all so easy. Bring on the next one!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home